Saturday, September 02, 2006

The fight begins

I am a student of the National Institute of Technology, Raipur and I am supposed to be in the VII th Semester but I don't know where exactly I am at present.

It all started when I was told that I would be getting detained for a year because I could not clear one of my Practicals even after 4 attempts though I had obtained 75% in the theory portion of the same subject. I could not believe that this was actually happening and my mind went numb. Numerous requests and long waiting periods outside the Director's office did not help me and I was just being taken for granted like every student in my college. The management just did not care whether I detained or attained.

After losing all hopes from the shabby management, I decided I would not just let it all go just like this and initially I had planned to protest and raise my voice against the management. I had planned on burning an effigy of our Director right in front of him but then I soon realized that nothing of that sort was going to be of any aid to me and I would not be gaining anything out of it either.

I discussed it all with my friends and family and finally I decided and promised to myself that I would get back at the management someday and someway but I would be doing it soon. By sheer luck I stumbled upon the most powerful weapon that our government has given us citizens, the Right to Information. I read everything about the RTI Act 2005 and decided that I will be using this Right of mine to shake the management.

Long hours were spent on the college "tapri" discussing RTI with some very good and trusted friends from the same college. And very quicky from one person alone, I now had nine people with me who also needed a platform to fight against the college because they were under tremendous pressure and frustration, all of which was created cause of our college. Someone had been detained because of a low aggregate (thanks to the ultra low sessionals we obtain) , someone else had not been given admission because he was one day late, another person had been framed by the management in a recent fee scandal and his mark sheets had been confiscated by the college authorities. And so then from "I" it became "We".

We then submitted applications with paid challans to the Director Incharge's office seeking information using RTI Act 2005 about the following :
  • Golden Jubilee celebrations of the college (where supposedly the college had received 1 crore rupees for the function).
  • Grant received from the Central Government for the college after it has been declared as N.I.T. and where the money was spent.
  • A detail of Computers / Electronic equipment purchased by the college after it has been declared as N.I.T.
  • List of Civil Construction / Repair tenders and quotations passed by the college management by self after the college has been declared as N.I.T.

We knew that the management was corrupt and they would definitely wake up to this. Now I hear that the college management is in a frenzy and everyone is running away like cats and dogs. We are still waiting for the reports to come out and I am sure they have no escape now.

It had all started as a fight to get back at the management but then now I feel that I should have done it all long time back. This whole incident has given me an amazing boost in confidence and has made me believe in myself strongly. I may not gain anything out of this whole exercise but I am happy I did this and made the management realize that they cannot take everyone for granted.

The college is there cause the students are there. Its high time the authorities realize this and everyone starts doing their duties properly and if they don't then we are going to make them do it.


Here are some newspaper clippings showing me and my friends starting our fight with the corrupt management:

Free Image Hosting at <a href= Free Image Hosting at <a href=

15 comments:

BIKeINSTEIN said...

Good going Sir!!
All the best with your endeavour!!
Take care!!

Amit Tiwari अमित तिवारी said...

Good going..but always remember as long as u r backed by the morality anything u do is subjected to be ethical.
& also remember that do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentic.
so if ur belief is strong and is blended with large amount of courage then do it;just do it.
My best wishes & need not to let you know that I am always there for you.

Unknown said...

good keep going

Anurag said...

Wow re.. I didnt know about all this.. Way to go.. :clap:
Hold on tight

ViDee said...

I have heard about this protest from my seniors and batchmates but i came to know about this protest precisely only after reading ur blog.
keep it up sir! the way u r using the technology (net)- to aware the people about it- is great..!

Mohit Singhania said...

thanks everybody for the support and feedback ....with all of u supporting me, i am not going to look back.

Unknown said...

bravo! : mohit & friends.

i suggest that once you get the Information, you take it up with the CAG as well as the state auditor. if the college authorities have done nothing wrong, then they should have nothing to fear. also, i'm curious to know why certain students are being specifically 'targeted'- as you claim- and others are not? more specifically, is there a gender/socio-economic bias?

let me also remind you all that the very existence of RTI- one of two of mrs. gandhi's greatest accomplishments along with the REGS- is currently under threat, primarily because of a sudden resurgence of bureaucratic inertia. its purpose- to bring transparency to governance- cannot and should not be allowed to be defeated.

i congratulate you on your effort.

AJ

Mohit Singhania said...

@AJ
Thanks for the support bhaiya. I am just hoping that the college management does not manipulate the records or something now. Also, I am really worried now about the RTI ACT being demolished or amended. I just hope the Government manages to let it remain. And regarding certain students being targeted, well I think the majority of the students just keep quiet and dont speak up. I am trying my best to fight for everybody in here. This is not going to be a selfish motive. :-)

Unknown said...

ps- i believe you might be interested in reading this: http://amitjogi.blogspot.com/2006/05/essay-on-raipur.html

it was written sometime back, lamenting the lack of spontaneous urban-student protest in the state's capital. your effort compels me to reconsider my views about it.

AJ

Chiranjib Ghorai (Chiro) said...

well done man .. way to go .. best of luck from me :)

Jacob said...

Nice piece of work man!

Contact www.ccsindia.org

They are into public policy and governance-related issues. You will get a lot of support from them, plus you could be a speaker at their various student interactions, and publicise what you did, to students across India!

Will try to get some one from there to give you some concrete contact info.

As for me, I'm going to keep your blog site link on my Orkut profile for a week. This should give your work a lot of publicity ;-)

http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=3834911327722063461

Amit Pandey's Weblogs said...

Hi Mohit,

I am one of your seniors 2000-passout from EE deptt.

I can feel the heat and anger in your blood against the institute athorities. Surely your attempt is courageous one. Let this spirit be long lasting.

Unknown said...

my dear mohit,
I really feel sympathised for u'r cause ...but what really troubles me is using anti-corruption propaganda to further u'r cause...lets separate the issue...first issue is that u were not passed in one practical, most probably due to whims and fancies of one or two teachers.....but a separate issue is some presumed corrupion in the college....
what exactly u r doing is mixing these two...as a good citizen u have a right to fight against corruption...but i am absolutely convinced that not at u'r level and age...college is our temple of education...u'r propaganda is putting our alma mater in a bad light...first u concentrate on u'r studies, secure u'r career(even with the poor marks of practicals u'll get)..then fight for corruption... images i saw of paper clippings were horrible to me and many of my GEC friends....why to trouble other faculty members for a mistake one faculty...and for studends , college is a sacrosnct place..
now for u'r cause u can lead a movement , protest anything u want..because u have been aggrieved...but it should be limited to u'r cause only,or cause of similar ppl, but never for anti corruption things..
none of seniors will be with anyone if one demolishes the image of the institution that they always respect and keep close to heart...
And finally i am totally opposed to u'r this movement ....all the best

Ubharti Lekhika said...

Hi Mohit,

Many congratulations on the efforts that you have made. Using the Act is the need of the hour. Its only when the people of India start regarding it as their 'hak' would this act survive. Inshallah, we hope to see the results!

Thanks,Priyanka

Unknown said...

Hi there, I had passed out in 2002 and it was sad to know abt such things which happened in our college.....U r doing a gr8 job and i appreciate u for that...I was listening abt the malpractices in our college i.e. professors asking students for tutions, engaging them in their personal rivalry. But this was a befitting reply...bravo!! btw, what was ur subject? I guess Physics practial?? n Mr. Su******???

Shishir Tiwari